DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/a10e4b/global_biosimilars) has announced the addition of the "Global Biosimilars (Follow-on biologics) Market: An Analysis" report to their offering.
Biosimilars or FOBs (Follow-on biologics) refer to generic versions of patented branded biological drugs, developed subsequent to the patent expiry of brand name products. The biosimilars market is segmented into peptides, recombinant glycosylated proteins, recombinant non-glycosylated proteins, and others. In 2009, biosimilar recombinant non glycosylated protein products formed the largest market segment since blockbuster biopharmaceutical drug such as interferon, human growth hormone-Somatropin, insulin and G-CSF; belong to this class and have wide range of applications.
Overburdened due to rising healthcare costs, ageing population, expensive drugs and pharmaceutical expenditure, biosimilar market is getting boost from increasing user acceptance and emerging Indian and Chinese markets. The major challenge for the biosimilar market is risk involved with the high investment and possible failure of the drug during development stages. However, opportunities for biosimilar market is immense, as biologics are going to be off patent by 2015 and an anticipated approval pathway in U.S will open up potentially largest market. The growth potential of the biosimilars market is expected to be strong, with patents for a number of second-generation therapeutic proteins (Enbrel, Remicade, Herceptin, etc.) slated for expiry between 2013 and 2019. The global biosimilars market is highly fragmented with the presence of some leading players such as Biocon, Dr Reddy's Lab, Intas, LG LifeSciences, Ranbaxy, Reliance LifeSciences, Sandoz, Teva, and Wockhardt.
The report titled Global Biosimilars (Follow-on biologics) Market: An Analysis covers the overview, market size and segmentation of the biosimilars market. The various drivers and the challenges faced by the market are also discussed in detail. The competitive aspect of the market is also highlighted and the key players are profiled with their strategies for this market.
Key Topics Covered:
1. Global Biopharmaceutical Market
2. Global Biosimilars Market 2.1 Overview 2.2 Market Size 2.3 Geographical Segmentation 2.4 Currently Marketed Biosimilars
3. Market Drivers 3.1 Rising Healthcare Costs 3.2 Large Number of Blockbuster Biologics Slated for Patent Expiry 3.3 Leading Generics Players Spearheading Development 3.4 Rise in Ageing Population 3.5 Cost Effective Option for Pharmaceutical Companies
4. Market Constraints 4.1 Regulatory Restrictions and Hurdles 4.2 High Development Costs 24 4.3 Manufacturing Complexities
5. Opportunities 5.1 Burgeoning Indian and Chinese Market 5.2 Monoclonal Antibodies- Fastest Growing segment
6. Market Outlook
7. Major Players 7.1 Teva Pharmaceuticals Industries Ltd. 7.2 Biocon 7.3 Hospira Inc.
- Teva Pharmaceuticals Industries Ltd
- Hospira Inc.
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/a10e4b/global_biosimilars
Research and Markets
Laura Wood, Senior Manager,
U.S. Fax: 646-607-1907
Fax (outside U.S.): +353-1-481-1716
INDUSTRY KEYWORDS: Health Biotechnology