DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/a174e8/biotechnology_indu) has announced the addition of the "Biotechnology Industry 2010 Yearbook - Top Biologics, Biosimilars, Licensing and Financing, Mergers and Acquisitions" report to their offering.
Biotechnology Industry 2010 Yearbook - Top Biologics, Biosimilars, Licensing and Financing, Mergers and Acquisitions provides insights on the activities that took place in the biotechnology industry in 2009. The report delves deep into the biotechnology industry and the competitive landscape of the leading companies. The report includes the key drivers and restraints that are impacting the growth of the biotechnology industry. The report also includes insights into the Research and Development R&D pipeline and the potential and top-selling biologics in various therapeutic indications such as cancer, inflammation, diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis, as well as major biosimilars in the drug classes erythropoietin, insulin analogs and human growth hormones The report also gives insights into the small and medium-sized biotechnology enterprises in terms of their geographical distribution, funding and their involvement in Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A). In addition, it also includes the regulatory landscape in the US, Europe and Japan.
In 2009 the Biotechnology Industry was Dominated by the Top 10 Companies
The biotechnology industry has emerged as a major growth area in the global healthcare industry. Since its emergence in the 1970s, the biotechnology market has shown tremendous growth, reaching approximately $128 billion in 2009.
On average, the revenues of the top 10 publicly listed biotechnology companies have increased by approximately 14% in 2009 over 2008. In fact, companies such as Alexion Pharmaceuticals Inc. recorded revenue growth rates of 50% in 2008. In contrast, the biggest player Amgen recorded low growth rates, mainly because of safety concerns related to some of its products.
The high growth in the revenues of biotechnology companies can be attributed to their focus on areas of clinical need that are unmanageable with conventional therapeutics, such as oncology, infectious diseases including HIV, and autoimmune disorders. A strong product pipeline for most of the top 10 biotechnology companies will result in a continuation of this growth trend in the future.
The Highly Consolidated Biologics Market will be Challenged by the Entry of Biosimilars
The author's analysis suggests that the competitive landscape of the global biotechnology industry is dynamic and will change in the near future. Currently, Roche/Genentech is the global leader in the biotechnology industry with revenues from biological of $36.1 billion in 2009, closely followed by Amgen with revenues of $14.7 billion. Over the next five years, the ranking will be definitely affected by changes in market conditions such as approvals for biosimilars and merger and acquisition deals that have taken place in the last two years. The companies that will grow and move up towards a leadership position within this fiercely competitive industry may be Novo Nordisk, Merck and Baxter and Biogen Idec.
- Detailed overview of biotech industry in 2009-2010
- Key market drivers and restraints,challenges and restraints shaping the biotech industry market
- Pipeline analysis of the biotech industry along with segmentation by indication, phase and geography
- Competitive landscape analysis with competitive profiling of leading companies
- Analysis of M&A deals 2009-2010 along with segmentation by value geography and companies
Reasons to buy
- Develop better strategies for biotech industry by understanding the market dynamics of the biotech industry
- Develop market-entry and market expansion strategies by identifying the key areas for high growth and high opportunities
- Understand the factors shaping the biotech industry market
- Identify the key players best positioned to take the advantage of the opportunities in the global biotech industry market
- Exploit partnership and acquisition opportunities by identifying the products that could fill the portfolio gaps
Key Topics Covered:
- Market Characterization
- Global Biosimilars Market
- Therapeutic Landscape
- Top 10 Biotechnology Companies
- Small and Medium Size Enterprises
- Small and Medium Biopharmaceutical Enterprises Funding Scenario
- Regulatory Update for the Biotechnology Industry,2009-2010
- M&A Deals Analysis
- Biotechnology Industry 2010 Yearbook Appendix
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/a174e8/biotechnology_indu
Research and Markets
Laura Wood, Senior Manager
U.S. Fax: 646-607-1907
Fax (outside U.S.): +353-1-481-1716
INDUSTRY KEYWORDS: Health Biotechnology