- Global pain treatment market recorded sales of $22.0bn in 2010
- Pfizer was the market-leading company in the global pain market in 2010
- Pain treatment pipeline is vast, featuring over 200 drugs in clinical development
LONDON--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- The global pain treatment market recorded sales of $22.0bn in 2010, rising at a compound annual growth rate of 8.9% from 2005, according to a new report from companiesandmarkets.com. This growth was supported by the presence of five blockbuster pain drugs - OxyContin, Lyrica, Cymbalta, Celebrex and Lidoderm. However, as patent expiries loom, the global market value is set to contract to $18.7bn by 2016.
The Pain Market Outlook to 2016
The pain treatment pipeline is vast, featuring over 200 drugs in clinical development. Chronic pain remains the most studied indication, although there remains strong interest in neuropathic pain and acute pain. Tapentadol ER has the greatest potential of any pipeline drug, with superior tolerability to OxyContin and potential efficacy in neuropathic pain.
Pfizer was the market-leading company in the global pain treatment market, registering $6.4bn in sales in 2010. Collectively, the top five pain companies accounted for 76.1% of the global market. This dominance is set to wane as their pipelines will be unable to restore market share lost to generics and new product launches.
The heterogeneity of pain necessitates a wide range of analgesics with different modes of action and delivery methods. As such, many different classes of drugs co-exist in the pain treatment market. However, despite the range of treatment options, opportunities exist for developers in chronic pain and neuropathic pain.
Features and benefits
- Analyze the dynamics of the global pain market and understand the impact of key R&D events, market trends, and issues.
- Forecast revenues for major currently marketed and pipeline pain products over 2010–16
- Develop strategies for success in the future global pain market.
Your key questions answered
- What market and pipeline developments are shaping the strategies of leading pharmaceutical companies in the pain market?
- What is the commercial potential of the most promising compounds in clinical development?
- Who were the leading players in the global pain market in 2010?
Companies & Markets
London (UK): +44 (0) 203 086 8600
KEYWORDS: United Kingdom Europe
INDUSTRY KEYWORDS: Health Biotechnology Pharmaceutical