ePharma Consumer® Study Reveals New Trends around How Consumers Interact with Pharma, Including Customer Service Options, Patient Education, and Pharma Websites – Webinar January 25 at 2pm ET
NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- On the heels of the FDA issuing its “Guidance for Industry Responding to Unsolicited Requests for Off-Label Information About Prescription Drugs and Medical Devices”, pharmaceutical and healthcare market research company Manhattan Research releases new data exploring how consumers use social media and other online sources for prescription drug information and pharma interaction.
The ePharma Consumer® study found that 42 percent of online adults agree that pharmaceutical companies should be involved in online health communities for consumers. Additionally, only 19 percent of online adults disagree that pharma should participate in this type of forum - with the additional 39 percent being impartial to the issue.
Interest in pharma involvement is significantly higher among certain audiences, representing stronger opportunities for some pharmaceutical brands than others. According to the study, ADD/ADHD and Bipolar Disorder caregivers are the top groups feeling pharma ought to be active in communities.
An earlier study conducted by Manhattan Research showed that consumer use of social media for health is on the rise – growing from 63 million U.S. adults accessing health-related user-generated content in 2008 to 107 million in 2011.
Top Patient and Caregiver Groups to Agree that Pharma Companies Should be Involved in Online Health Communities for Consumers
1. ADD/ADHD Caregivers
2. Bipolar Caregivers
3. Epilepsy Caregivers
4. Cystic Fibrosis Patients
5. Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients
Among online U.S. adults (ages 18+) where n is at least 60
“The expectation for pharma to be active in health communities is quite high, particularly among certain disease states and the caregiver population,” said Maureen Malloy, Senior Healthcare Analyst at Manhattan Research. “This emphasizes why it’s so important that the FDA builds on the guidance they recently issued for off-label discussions. Patients are calling and many brands are trying to determine how to respond.”
Sign up for the ePharma Consumer® Webinar – Wednesday, January 25 at 2pm ET
On Wednesday, January 25 at 2pm ET, Manhattan Research Senior Healthcare Analyst Maureen Malloy will host a complimentary webinar about the ePharma Consumer® market research and strategic advisory service. The webinar will also preview some of the key findings from the new study.
To register and learn more, please visit https://decisionresources.webex.com/decisionresources/onstage/g.php?t=a&d=766884830
Patient Deep Dives:
Health & Pharma Channel Mix for 75+ Therapeutic Categories
Manhattan Research offers Patient Deep Dives covering hundreds of health and pharma channel mix metrics for 75+ therapeutic categories. In addition to patients, data is also available for Rx taker, caregiver, and info-seeker segments. Patient Deep Dives come from Manhattan Research’s Cybercitizen Health® U.S. and ePharma Consumer® studies.
Examples of topics covered in a Patient Deep Dive include:
- Technology adoption and online access
- Health resource mix, including traditional and digital sources
- Online health information discovery
- Search and website behavior across key medical scenarios
- Multiscreen and mobile health behavior
- Social media for health and Rx info
- Online health video
- Digital at the point of care and physician interactions
- Attitudes towards HCPs and use of Internet for health, including pain points
- Patient education and resources
- Electronic health records and tracking conditions online
- Prescription drug information seeking
- Pharma online resources and touch points
- Online and offline pharma advertising
Data available for:
ADD/ADHD, Asthma, Atrial Fibrillation, Bipolar Disorder*, Cancer (including Breast Cancer*, Prostate Cancer*, and Skin Cancer*), COPD, Crohn’s Disease*, Cystic Fibrosis, Depression, Epilepsy*, Erectile Dysfunction, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Heart Attack*, Hepatitis C*, High Cholesterol, HIV/AIDS*, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Migraine, Multiple Sclerosis*, Osteoporosis, Overactive Bladder, Psoriasis*, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Type 1 Diabetes*, Type 2 Diabetes, and many more categories.
*Not all metrics available or lower sample sizes for some conditions
To learn more about available segmentations and Manhattan Research’s consumer research, visit www.manhattanresearch.com/Products-and-Services/Consumer/Consumer-Therapeutic-Segmentations/US.
To request sample sizes, detailed information about therapeutic subcategories, and pricing, please contact [email protected] or call 1.888.680.0800, ext 2.
About ePharma Consumer®
ePharma Consumer® was fielded online in Q4 2011 among 6,634 U.S. adults (ages 18+). This latest version features exciting changes:
- Rather than just exploring the ePharma Consumer segment already online for pharma and prescription drug resources, the survey population now includes all online U.S. adults.
- Additionally, the research looks beyond just pharma website visitation and explores the multiple ways that consumers can interact with pharma companies and prescription drug information, including through social media, mobile, third party websites, advertising, and other touch points.
Key topics addressed in the study include:
- Rx info seeking, including use of mobile devices and online sources visited during key scenarios
- Pharma online touch points, including pharma websites, pharma on third party destinations, and mobile
- Online and offline DTC advertising
- Online health video
- Pharma patient education and resources at the point of care
- Rx-related social media
About Manhattan Research
Manhattan Research, a Decision Resources Group company, conducts annual research studies covering eHealth trends among healthcare professionals and consumers in the Americas, Europe, and Asia. Broad research can be segmented by target specialist and therapeutic audiences. For more information please contact [email protected], call 1.888.680.0800, ext 2, or visit www.manhattanresearch.com.
About Decision Resources Group
Decision Resources Group is a cohesive portfolio of companies that offers best-in-class, high-value information and insights on important sectors of the healthcare industry. Clients rely on this analysis and data to make informed decisions. Please visit Decision Resources Group at www.DecisionResourcesGroup.com.
All company, brand or product names contained in this document may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
Stephanie Cooper, 212-255-1368
KEYWORDS: United States North America New York
INDUSTRY KEYWORDS: Other Consumer Online Retail Health Biotechnology Pharmaceutical Retail Consumer