In September 2008, Oracle announced its partnership with Amazon Web Services and introduced deployment and backup services via Oracle in the Cloud. Oracle now has six Amazon machine images.
Users can tap Oracle Database 11g and Oracle Enterprise Linux to build enterprise solutions in the cloud, leveraging the computing and storage capabilities of Amazon Web Services (AWS). The combo provides access to Oracle database and middleware offerings within Amazon's Elastic Compute Cloud.
- Database Vault addresses regulatory compliance requirements and insider threats.
- Advanced Security is an option for OracleDatabase 11g; it combines network encryption, database encryption and authentication.
- Label Security controls access based on data classification.
- Secure Backup.
- Agility: Middleware 11g allows apps to meet peak demand via shared resources; automated dynamic adjustments.
- Cost elements: Perpetual software license; no mention of pay per use.
- Biopharma suitability: Oracle claims that 20 of the top 20 pharma companies and 10 of the top 10 CROs run its applications.