University of Cambridge finds one test now possible for most blood cancers

Researchers at the University of Cambridge in the U.K. and colleagues spotted a new cancer gene that will enable a single test that screens for most chronic blood cancers, The Times of India reported. For the last several years, clinicians have used a test that screens for the gene JAK2, accounting for close to 60% of patients with chronic blood cancers. But a new gene, CALR, is mutated in the remaining 40%, according to the story. A simple blood test that screens for both is now possible, the research team said. Details are published in The New England Journal of Medicine. Story

Suggested Articles

Researchers at MIT used a machine-learning algorithm to uncover the potent antibiotic properties hiding within an old small-molecule candidate.

The randomized, blinded study showed statistically significant improvements in assessments of inattention and brain activity.

U.K.-based surgery robot developer CMR Surgical has begun rolling out its Versius platform to the NHS, completing its first procedures in Europe.