3M Cogent Software Systems Engineer* Job
at 3M in Reston VA US
Organization: Safety & Graphics Business Gro
Primary Location: USA Region-United States-Virginia-Reston
Job Type: Experienced
3M is seeking a Software Systems Engineer for the 3M Cogent business unit located in Reston, Virginia. Be part of what’s next!
3M Cogent currently has an opening for a Software Systems Engineer who will be involved with the systems engineering aspects of existing and new 3M Cogent products and systems. As a member of the 3M Cogent Department of Defense (DoD) and Federal Programs team, candidate must have skills to evaluate, design, implement, test and support challenging technical solutions involving 3M Cogent AFIS/ABIS, 3M Cogent handheld biometrics collection devices, biometrics (collect, store, match and share) and third party components and software development kits. This position requires experience and ability to work with different programming languages, technologies and database systems, spawning multiple projects, in, usually, fast paced environment. This is NOT an IT systems engineering position and requires extensive software design background.
3M Cogent is a leading high-tech development company in the fields of image processing, biometrics, automated fingerprint identification, and systems integration supports a worldwide customer base which includes law enforcement, civil government, and commercial customers. For more information, visit http://www.cogentsystems.com/
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Analyze and map requirements to existing and new software system solutions
- Help to implement and follow best practices in system engineering and software engineering
- Participate in and contribute to development team discussions and day to day activities as a key team player
- Create and maintain software deliverables, technical documents and specifications
- Trouble shoot, isolate and fix production problems
- When needed, work directly with customers and provide technical assistance and support
- Ownership and responsibility for all technical items of assigned functional areas, include support and future enhancements for all assigned projects
- Perform and support system tests, including creating test tools and test plans
- Ability to work on multiple projects spanning multiple customers and engineering resources simultaneously
- Willingness to work overtime when needed
- Bachelor's degree or higher with an accredited University
- Minimum 5 years of combined experience in software development and/or systems engineering
- Minimum 3 years of combined experience with object-oriented design and development technologies including C, C++, C#, Java, and/or .NET
- Combined experience working with relational databases including any combination of Oracle, MySQL, and/or SQL Server
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science/Computer Engineering or related discipline
- 4 Years experience with C/C++
- 3 Years experience with Java (web-services) or C# & ASP.NET (web-services)
- 3 Years experience with Oracle with strong knowledge of PL/SQL
- Experience developing database triggers, stored-procedures, stored-functions
- Experience leading other software engineers as a technical leader of a project
- Experience with scripting languages – Bash, Perl, VBS, Batch, etc
- Experience developing on different platforms – Windows Server 2008/IIS, Linux/Apache Tomcat
- Experience in building/deploying networked software systems
- Knowledge of Systems Engineering processes and standards
Location: Reston, Virginia
Travel: May include up to 15% domestic travel
Relocation Benefits: Are not eligible for this position
3M captures the spark of new ideas and transforms them into thousands of ingenious products. Our culture of creative collaboration inspires a never-ending stream of powerful technologies that make life better. 3M is the innovation company that never stops inventing. With $30 billion in sales, 3M employs about 88,000 people worldwide and has operations in more than 70 countries. Be part of what’s next! Join 3M – follow us @3MCareers and learn more at YouTube.com/3MCareers.
Responsibilities of this position may include direct and/or indirect physical or logical access to information, systems, technologies subjected to the regulations/compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws.
U.S. Export Control laws and U.S. Government Department of Defense contracts and sub-contracts impose certain restrictions on companies and their ability to share export-controlled and other technology and services with certain "non-U.S. persons" (persons who are not U.S. citizens or nationals, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., refugees, "Temporary Residents" (granted Amnesty or Special Agricultural Worker provisions), or persons granted asylum (but excluding persons in nonimmigrant status such as H-1B, L-1, F-1, etc.) or non-U.S. citizens.
To comply with these laws, and in conjunction with the review of candidates for those positions within 3M that may present access to export controlled technical data, 3M must assess employees' U.S. person status, as well as citizenship(s).
The questions asked in this application are intended to assess this and will be used for evaluation purposes only. Failure to provide the necessary information in this regard will result in our inability to consider you further for this particular position. The decision whether or not to file or pursue an export license application is at 3M Company's sole election. This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain DoD security clearance. This position requires US Citizenship.
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).
Apply now for this exciting opportunity with 3M.
3M is an EEO/AA employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Recent jobs at 3M
- Key Account Manager, Grocery Drug Channel Job at 3M, Anywhere
- Sourcing Analyst Job at 3M, Anywhere
- Sales Representative, Commercial Graphics; San Francisco, CA Job at 3M in San Francisco CA US
- Customer Account Analyst Job at 3M in Maplewood MN US
- Industrial Sales Representative - Industrial Markets Center (IMC) - Multiple Locations Job at 3M in Maplewood MN US